Friday, December 15, 2017

Services and achievements of military women recognized

November 11, 2009 by
Filed under Featured, Most Recent Posts, News

H.RES.868 which honors and recognizes “the service and achievements of current and former female members of the Armed Forces,” sponsored by Rep. Susan A. Davis of California, was passed on November 5!

The bill reads:

Honoring and recognizing the service and achievements of current and former female members of the Armed Forces. (Introduced in House)

HRES 868 IH

111th CONGRESS 1st Session

H. RES. 868

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

October 23, 2009

sendavis

Mrs. DAVIS of California (for herself, Ms. FALLIN, Ms. LORETTA SANCHEZ of California, Ms. SCHAKOWSKY, Ms. FUDGE, Ms. CHU, Ms. SHEA-PORTER, Mr. SESTAK, Mr. BARTLETT, Ms. BORDALLO, Mr. ABERCROMBIE, Ms. TSONGAS, Mr. WILSON of South Carolina, Ms. CASTOR of Florida, Mr. MASSA, Ms. SLAUGHTER, Mr. REYES, Ms. SPEIER, Ms. PINGREE of Maine, Ms. HARMAN, Ms. GIFFORDS, Ms. WASSERMAN SCHULTZ, Mrs. CAPPS, Ms. KAPTUR, Mr. ORTIZ, Mrs. CHRISTENSEN, Mrs. MALONEY, Ms. NORTON, Ms. SCHWARTZ, Mr. TURNER, Mr. ROGERS of Alabama, Mr. COURTNEY, Mrs. NAPOLITANO, Mrs. MCMORRIS RODGERS, Mr. LOEBSACK, Mr. HARE, Mr. FILNER, Mr. TAYLOR, Ms. MATSUI, Mr. MICHAUD, Mrs. BIGGERT, Mr. MORAN of Virginia, Mr. BOREN, Ms. SUTTON, Ms. BALDWIN, and Mr. SKELTON) submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Armed Services, and in addition to the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

RESOLUTION

Whereas women are and have historically been an important part of all United States war efforts, voluntarily serving in every military conflict in United States history since the Revolutionary War;

Whereas 34,000 women served in World War I, 400,000 served in World War II, 120,000 served in the Korean War, over 7,000 served in the Vietnam War, and more than 41,000 served in the first Gulf War;

Whereas more than 185,000 women have been deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and other missions since 2001;

Whereas over 350 servicewomen have given their lives for the Nation in combat zones since World War I, and more than 85 have been held as prisoners of war;

Whereas over 350,000 women serving in the Armed Forces make up approximately 15 percent of active duty personnel, 15 percent of Reserves, and 17 percent of the National Guard;

Whereas women are now playing an increasingly important role in America’s military forces; and

Whereas the women of America’s military, past and present, have served their Nation in times of peace and war, at great personal sacrifice for both themselves and their families: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the House of Representatives–
    • (1) honors and recognizes the service and achievements of current and former female members of the Armed Forces;
    • (2) encourages all people in the United States to recognize the service and achievements of women in the military and female veterans on Memorial Day;
    • (3) encourages all people in the United States to learn about the history of service and achievements of women in the military; and
    • (4) supports groups that raise awareness about the service and achievements of women in the military and female veterans through exhibitions, museums, statues, and other programs and activities.

Comments

50 Responses to “Services and achievements of military women recognized”
  1. Michael Moore says:

I am surprised that something like this is needed. I served in Ramadi, Iraq, when it was at it’s worst for a year. We had women who served there also, and they did their job just as the men did. They shared the danger. They went on patrols and convoys. They got shot at and mortared and endured the explosions of IED’s right along with their male counterparts. I find it unfathomable that they are having a tough time admitting that they are veterans because of the treatment they receive. The public probably doesn’t realize that some of their questions are condescending to women. Therefore, this is a good thing if it educates the public on what role women serve in Iraq and Afghanistan. There are no front lines, therefore anyone over there is in combat. The women who served over there have my respect, and I hope that this gets them the respect of everyone else. They truly deserve it.

2. Germaine Costner says:

Women deserve recognition for time served regardless of the circumstances. Many men puff themselves up for their military service even though they were never in a combat zone. I served from 1976- 1995. I was never in a combat position but I did serve remote for two tours. I supported the first Persian Gulf War with equipment from my stateside location. Sometimes it’s just timing as to whether you are in a combat zone or not. The majority of folks take the military for granted, period. They want the military in a glass box with a mallet to break when necessary. The civilian world in this country should be GLAD that we are not fighting on our land in the United States.

3. luis feliciano says:

I luis Feliciano take my hat off to all the women that have
    serve our country. if any of our service women are in
    Allentown P.A I with my wife will gladly cook and serve
    you great dinner. just a little token of us saying
    thank you so much.

4. Michael says:

I read a story similar to this one on yahoo news, only to find that how much it has appalled me on how some of our veterans have been treated after serving our country. Man or Woman doesn’t matter to me ya’ll have served your country with distinction. You all, have my respect and admiration.

5. My mother passed away in 2006, She had mental troubles All of life, since her discharge from the army during the second world war. She had taken
    care of GI’S returning from the pacific As well as GI’S returning from Europe, As a youngster I asked her about her service, some times she would talk about it and others she’d begin to cry, go to the bathroom shut herself in and sob. My uncle, also a ww2 vet told me once, Your mom saw to much, more than she could handle. Because of her mental condition , my brother and I spent affair amount time in and out foster care. She passed away in a nursing home at age 82. I don’t believe There was any fan fare at all and very little recognition for her service. After all she served stateside. I know many GI’s who returned without recieving a welcome parade. YOU RETURN HOME AND ARE SIMPLY DISCHARGED, THATS IT/ That’s the it was even for me.

6. Michael says:

(accidently cut myself off)
    I have never had the honor of serving our country in the armed services. I wish I could have, but I didn’t take that road. I’m not in a good place in my life right now, but if I could buy every single veteran a drink of some kind. It would be an honor if I was able to.
    Remember this…. if you served your country, wether at home or over seas. You ARE a Veteran.
    God Bless, Stay safe and come home soon if your still over seas!

7. marc fields says:

I am Ssgt. Marc Fields of the USMC, a Vietnam Veteran Era Marine, I want to say the I really appreciate the women who chose to go in harms way. I too know what it is like to come home and not be appreciated. I am ashamed of the way our government treats its veterans. There is a quote going around in the emails, hope I get it right. ( There are only two types of individuals who have chosen to give their life for our people, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.) You all are American Soldiers.
    God Bless You Forever!!!

8. A Supporter says:

I was reading an article regarding the problems Veteran Women are having being recognized.

I did not serve in the military but i know friends who did and have a daughter serving.

Somedays I am astonished at the harrassment that still goes on in the military in this day and time. I feel we are still a backward country in the military.

I am an active voter and will support you in all ways possible. I will write Congress to support this. God Bless you all for being there and
    more for the courage to come home and tell us.

9. William Lohr says:

Good Day.

I saw your story on Yahoo. I cannot speak for the Americans who dont see you as the warrior/heroes you are. But I can speak for myself.

Thank you for your service and your courage. If I ever get the chance, I will gladly buy the beers. You have my undying admiration and gratitude.

Sincerely,
    William Lohr

10. Brady Travis says:

I am very happy to see that female soldiers are getting recognised for the important and selfless service that they provide on the battlefield. I have a brother in the armed forces and I am proud to say that my wife and I, as well as the rest of my family, 110% thanks you all for your dedication and service. You play a vitale role with everything that you do and I do not believe that our military would be as strong without you. Thank you again and remember, there are alot of citizens out here that believe in you, your duty and have your backs when you are deployed or back state-side.

11. F Mason says:

There is NO espect for women serving in so called combat type roles in any military. no place for a woman, and it is much more costly to support (military) women then men (By Far) They serve a valuable service during the World War 2 period, but they had proper women’s roles.

12. Thank you for your selfless service, contributions, and sacrifice in defense of our nation. I am inspired by your efforts to bring greater awareness and recognition to the contributions of our American women veterans, which includes combat experience! I know your efforts will help in particular our women combat veterans in their healing and reintegration to society, as they return from their service.

If you know of combat women veterans in Orange County, CA please let me know. I would like to see if we can invite them to speak to our organization.

with deep respect,

Francisco J. Barragan CPA, CIA
    Commander, UMAVA
    714.605.2544 cell

13. Mary Henderson says:

I am not a veteran, but I am so proud of the women who are. Thank you for everything you do and have sacraficed. You have a fan here in Wisconsin.
    Mary

14. Laura Engle says:

I have never servered in the Armed Forces, but I would love to help where I can. I would love to start something in my town so we are all aware of whats going on. Thank You and God Bless all of you!!
    Laura

15. Patricia Porter says:

It’s about time!! It has been too many years of biting my tongue each time going to VA or calling VA for help and they ask me “what is your husband’s social security number”, or having never been given veterans preference for a job, or being told that my experience in the military doesn’t allow me to even carry a bedpan.
    How many of my “Sisters” have never told their families that they served….not out of shame, but out of being scrutinized as to the role or sexual orientation because of believing in our Country. No one ever asking on Memorial Day when celebrations are at their height, where are our women veteran??
    VN Vet 65-68

16. Elizabeth Bard says:

I am a Vietnam Era Vet (November 7, 1972 – June 30, 1975) and I hope this bill passes. I have not heard anything about it til I found the American Women Veterans web site. Whe I was in the Army, I was a member of the Women’s Army Corp, then later was an elisted woman when the WAC was deactivated. We had problems with sexual harrassment in the workplace. We attended diversity training that was supposed to address that and was supposed to be mandatory for all personnel, and from what I understood, as long as you were active duty or reserve, you were required to attend annual training. This was to combat the problems of sexual harassment and race relations. I had my doubts about how it would carry on. My husband retired in 1987 with 20 years service. He said the only time he had that training was in Augsburg, FRG sometime from 1974-1978.

What did our fighting for equality, the right to stay in service after marriage and children mean if the problems are still going on now. My generation from the Vietnam Era were supposed to have made a difference. It sure doesn’t appear that way.

17. Mark Rudy says:

I personnaly think it is shamefull that we as a people have not given the Vetran Women of our Armed Forces the recognition and respect they justly deserve. I viewed this American Women Veterans web site and was so ashamed at my own country for not praising these Veterans. What these Women Service Members had and still are going through should be supported, recognized and RESPECTED. These are Women who took an oath the same as any man ever has and stood up and did what was expected of them as members of our military. It is as new as the starting of World War 1 where our fellow women have served and died, wounded and sacrificed no different than that of her male counterparts, but it is gender biased still it seems. It must stop with this generation if it is to stop at all. We (U.S. Military) have proven that gender has no bearing on ability, confidence and commitment to our country and what we believe in and are sworn by oath to uphold at all costs. If you served and are guarenteed help and services by our Government for being on the front lines (Iraq / Afganistan, a combat zone) then gender must have no bearing what so ever. Thanks for listening and Women Vetrans and Active Duty have my Grattitude and Thanks for all that you have and still are sacrificing every day.

18. bob, kathy baclet says:

We feel they are just as brave as the men and should be treatedwith the same recognition and care. It doesn’t matter what your sex is your fighting for freedom. we’ve known people who fought in Viet Nam and a female who was in Iraq along with a second niece, we would be proud to buy them a beer . Alot of people have no respect for our service people and they should. How would they feel if the fighting came to the United States, bet they would sing a different tune. We respect and feel pride in all our military people. God Bless America and our miltary men and women.

19. bob, kathy baclet says:

The women of the armed forces should be treated with the same respect as the men and recieve thye same medical attention and medals. It’s a sad day when the don’t get that treatment.

20. jeff scoma says:

No mix reception here,i am proud of are Troop’s weather Female or Male…………..Thank-You all for serving………..thankful for are Allies and Alll Who want peace and not start trouble in the first place “Ground Zero”

21. JoAnn says:

As the wife of a Lt.Col.(ret.) I applaud the women of our Armed Service. You go Girl’s!! You get a big thumb’s up from me. It would be so easy to stay at home, but you made the choice to serve your country.
    J.

22. Robin Botterud says:

I just want to say thank you and God bless all the women who serve in our military! You are all doing a GREAT service to our country and deserve all the honor and respect afforded to all soldiers serving our country.

My mom is a WWII veteran. She served as a Navy Wave during the war and worked in Florida with tracking the ships and the missions they were on. I am VERY proud of my mom’s veteran status. She is 86 years old now and I will never forget how special it is to me that she served our country in this capacity!!

God bless you all!

Robin Botterud

23. Alex Voog says:

I for one, TOTALLY APPRECIATE the service of you brave women. I would be HAPPY to buy you a beer, and THANK YOU for protecting us, and your comrades, whether on the battlefield, or the backyard. DO NOT BE ASHAMED of your service. If someone is insecure with you or your service, then that is THEIR insecurity, it should not be yours. You are WARRIOR WOMEN, and are nothing less than amazing.

24. One of many remarks that struck me was one made by a female Veteran who said she just wants to feel that “America has my back.” In whatever way I am able, *I* have your back! I thank you for your service. I thank you for your sacrifices. I thank you for being willing to put your life on the line both while in active service and in living with the aftermath of it.

It is thanks to generations of people like you that I can sit here in safety and say THANK YOU! For what you endure that is made worse because of how women are treated, both in service and after, we all owe you even more.

I am forwarding this article and this website to several people, including Veterans to try to spread the word that we all need to let our female Veterans know that we will not tolerate disrespect toward you and your service – that we *will* have your back!

25. Katie Exum says:

THANK YOU for stepping up and doing something about this terrible situation for female veterans and active service women.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I am sending the article from Yahoo, where I found out about your laudable services and bill to everyone in my email contacts list.

Bless you and all those who are helping you,
    Katie Exum

26. Larry Tillman says:

This issue is not just about PTSD or sexual harassment, It’s about giving women their own special treatment so they can get recognize and have more privileges than men for serving in the U.S military. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful to have served in the military with all men and women alike, but giving them special treatment is only going to make problems in America get a little worst. For those who have not served in the military only see one side of the story. For those who did serve in the military and was sent to Iraq or Afghanistan know the truth especially lower enlisted military personnel or veterans. Women who are in the military do get informed about the benefits they will receive. It’s just that some women decide to lie about not being informed about all the benefits they will receive. Some women veterans seek special treatment such a separate exhibitions, museums, statues, and other programs and activities away from male veterans. They put that uniform on just like I did when I was in the army. They should be treated equally with male veterans and not put on a pedestal with diamond trim around. The whole truth has not yet been told; however, one side of the story has been left out. Alot of women has given into sexual temptation, but some call it sexual harassment or abuse because they did not get their way. And some just want to get recognized for just being in the military because they are not getting enough attention. This is only a piece of the story. If they did outstanding work that put them above the rest, then they should be recognized, and if not, they are just like the rest.

27. Hello,

I recently read an article featured on Yahoo about how female vets are not honored as much as male vets are. As a woman and as a citizen of the United States, I would personally like to thank all of the female vets that risked their lives, peace and emotional stability defending our country.

Thank you with all my heart, and God bless!

28. Carol Stout says:

I think it is very important that we recognize the roles that women have and are serving in all branches of our military. Women are equal to men in what they do and that is very important to recognize. We, the public, should also recognize and honor them for their service just as we do the men. I hear that women are NOT getting all the equal treatment that they should be getting including by our VA and other departments and I don’t like that. We need to improve on the recognition of women’s contributions in all walks of life and women…don’t negate yourselves for what you did. You are as good as anyone else and deserve the honor and respect that men get also for doing the same things as you did.

I pray daily for ALL (notice I said ALL, I did not say just men) our veterans and service people and their families.

29. stephen f. espinosa says:

I’am a vetaren just like you, I took part in surveys on letting females in combat units while I was active.

My first comment was if they can carry the load then let them.

( WAR IS NOT NICE AND IT NEVER WILL BE,KNOW MATTER WHAT SIDE YOUR ON. )

THERE ARE VFW’s AND AMRICAN LIEGON CLUBS WHERE VETARENS GO AND TALK ABOUT THERE MILITARY DUTIES.
    BECAUSE THERE’S KNOW ONE ELSE THAT CAN RELATE TO YOU OTHER THEN SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THERE AND SEEN IT FIRST HAND AND THERE NEVER WILL BE.

30. Larry Tillman says:

Memorial Day should not be a day to recognize female veterans, it should still be the same. That means women veterans get two holidays Veterans Day and Memorial Day. This is wrong to do this. What happen equality and fairness? What about the history that famous women that wanted equality for women? They did not want women to rise above men, but rather have equal rights.

31. Karen Wilhelm says:

I am so glad to see a site for women veterans, I served during the vietnam era in the USAF and have been using the VA Hospital benefits for over 10 years now. I recently started wearing patches on my motorcycle vest indicating my military service and the organizations that I have belong to over the years. Yes we women need to be proud of our service and let people know we are out here, thank you for this forum.

32. Carol Rains says:

I can only say Thank You for your service. I tried to join the Air Force many years ago when I graduated from High School and was turned down because I am blind in one eye. My heart is with you and I appreciate all you have given up to serve your country.

I pray that everyone affected with PTSD and other afflictions caused by serving all Americans will be able to endure and move on with their lives. All of us want that for you.

Happy Holidays.

33. Margie Weber says:

THANK YOU !!!!! You are awesome and should be treated in the same manner…”AWESOME”

34. Ms. Valentine McReynolds says:

Those of us that served in the first Gulf War, who are also female, many were medically separated or retired, yet no one even considered putting any one of us in for a Purple Heart. After reading the requirements, we noticed that nearly all of us qualified. Many of our male counterparts, under the same circumstances, whom we served with, side by side, received the award. Literally all of the females were passed over like we were never there.

35. Thomas Frank says:

I am a Retired Police Officer and I just want to state for the record that I and my family and my Church support ALL of our Military Personel and we keep them in our daily Prayers. To the Ladies who serve, God Bless you and the Men you serve with.

36. Shorty says:

We as a nation have never really thanked the women that have served and sacrificed so much for this country.

I have studied for years the female pilots in WW2 and how important they were in that war. Yet, the army wouldn’t even pay for a burial.

I just want to thank everyone for your service and I pray to God that you will be recognized for everything you have done. This country would be in big trouble if it wasn’t for the women that serve and I think to many of us forget.

Again, I thank you for everything.

37. tom burdick says:

to all the women who served in the armed services thankyou for protecting our country.

38. Arthur Soto says:

I am so glad that someone is standing up for all our service veterans. I’m a Vietnam vet, Marine Corps and regardless of what your MOS may be you are givving time money and most important leaving family and loved one behind to serve your country. You should be proud of your service and don’t let others especially people that have never served their country tell you otherwise. Comming home from Vietnam, we never received a thank you, job well done, not even a welcome home. To all our service men & women coming home from our present wars I say to you WELCOME HOME AND A JOB WELL DONE I thank you for your service and may God bless you all. email: otjentech@yahoo.com

Arthur L. Soto
    Former Marine
    Vietnam 1969-1970
    And damn Proud of it.

39. Kathleen says:

Can I get any more financial information regarding how donations will be allocated–administrative vs. cause.

40. Robert Cadle says:

I was glad to find this site, for it’s about time that women received
    the recognition for serving.

I am a combat veteran of Korea, so I know what it’s like to return
    and have people say : “Where?”

There weren’t many women in the Military in those days, but those who were, being primarily nurses and Waves and Wacs in support areas “back home”, did not get a fair shake then either.

Frankly, the idea of women in a combat zone is totally wrong from my Old Tyme Gentlemen and Protector and Respecter of all women training & position.

(From childhood, my Dad brought me up with those principles pounded into the head, and no matter where I was, right up to today, ALL women are treated with respect and protect.

Of course, boys and men of my day were also brought up to “Keep Themselves Nice” for a wife someday, so that and my training meant that I treated all women as ladies. Especially in Asia, but more and more just about anywhere, women have little choice when they are sold by the family or kidnapped. I always felt that, even for a few minutes ,I would bring respect and honoring them as women into their often terrible lives.

Ah yes, our generation was different.

At least in my Irish Midwestern culture, for there were rotten dudes in those days , but that was a rarity instead of almost the norm.

Thinking of a woman in combat sickens me, as all good men would take extra risks to keep a woman from being hurt, and the thought of a woman being wounded in her chest is more than I want to deal with.

It is not right that our once honorable country is in the hands of …..you pick a name….and that women are losing what women fought to achieve for centuries.

And too many have fallen for the cleverly disguised anti man propaganda by those who WANT to destroy the family.

So, our company has produced the greatest of all “gifts that keep on giving” Amazingly simple video email with a few mouse clicks. Here’s the deal: For a limited time, we are GIVING totally free, a system for a service person who is deployed, so that they can have face to face emails with family. Buy one, get a free system for a serviceperson.

Each end will need a camera, of course, not included, but I find the best prices for you on the best choice camera.

Go here, click on the Christmas link on the lower left and see that 3 minute video first, You can explore the site and join, then go to your included back office website and fill out the Form for the free system after you have purchased one for yourself. Hard to believe what technology provides, whereas we waited weeks for mail.

GOD bless you in this recognition effort.

Bob
    http://www.EmailVideoClickHere.com You can give others this link, unless you decide to market the system also. Either way, the low price is the same.
    bob@bobbuildsbusiness.com

41. John J Sheeler Sr. says:

On one of my many sleepless nights I came accross the H.res.868 ART.
    and it brought me to tears, and memories of how we as Viet Vets had been SHAMED and miss treated upon returning from combat. I have suffered silently for many years and still do to this day, Reading about the woman Vets makes me unhappy about our GOV. lack of respect towards our VETS. I wonder how many Vets would have came home if not for all the Nurses alone that helped our comrads return after returning from the hell of combat.
    Now the brave woman of the armed forces are standing along side of the
    men fighting for our freedom as well, my cover is off to all these brave
    woman for standing up for FREEDOM!!!

Sgt. John J Sheelr Sr.
    D.A.V. USMC
    Semper Fi

42. Jim Oliveaux says:

I, as a former active duty Marine, would like to thank all women who serve, and have served in our Armed Forces. Your contributions are great and as important as any. Your sacrifices are more overwhelming than most male members of the Armed Forces will ever encounter or understand. For your dedication to your country, I humblely thank you.
    And ladies…..hold you head high and be proud of what you have, and continue to accomplish and contribute. It IS recognized and appreciated.
    Semper Fi

43. I was unaware of our women in the arm forces were been treated like they are. I’m sorry to hear about the problem.I wish people would stop and think before they react cause they are hurting more than they are helping. I to have a love one that is in the service and i just thought that she just doesn’t want to talk but it might be like what these other women have gone through and will try and reach out to her cause not only does she needs the support from the service but from her family. Thanks for making us aware of the problem.

44. CM Hauglin says:

I am a AF brat who served in the Army (luckily in peacetime) and despite loving many things about military life got out because of attitudes about female service members. (In the 80s) I had a 1st Sgt out and out tell me he would always promote men over women because ‘they have families to support’, there was a ongoing attitude that women were in the service only to ‘party’ (ie you’d put out) or find a husband (you didn’t put out or were picky about it) or were a lesbian (weren’t option one or two) there was NO option for ‘career’ or ‘just doing my job’ or even ‘learning a job skill’ or ‘getting money for college’ or other options the men were in for.
    As the old cigarette ad used to say, ‘you’ve come a long way, baby’ but sadly there is so much more that can be done and its good to see some steps, even baby ones, being done to help women keep their pride in their service whether they are looking for a career or just a way to support their country in peace and war.
    I’m following on twitter and will be subscribing to the site and telling my friends, Military, Civvie, female and male, about it.
    Thank you all.

45. Paul McGee says:

As a male who returned home from Viet Nam to face the same things that you ladies are facing, I can feel your hurt and pain. I remember walking through San Francisco International and people were actually so rude to us, that we changed out of our uniforms as quickly as we could to avoid them. To this day I do not talk about my service. So I want to say Thank You! because I know the sacrifice and dedication that you all have Made, so I salute you and may God bless you all.

Paul McGee

46. Toni Zewan says:

This is one big step for the women who have served in the military. I am a veteran of the USN and to this day am proud. However, I did not get treated the same either. Always having to put up with harrassment.

When 9/11 happened, I would have gone back into the service to protect my children and my country.

GO FEMALE VETERANS! We deserve the same respect as any other veteran.

I would like to personally thank every US Veteran, female or male, for fighting for our country.

47. Laymond, Josie says:

I read Stars & Stripes Heroes. There were no mention of female nor other ethics. Were these the only one that are given medals? I believe all stories should reveal the whole story! The militray is a rainbow. The last newspaper for June 2010. was one sided.

48. Mary Kemphues TSG(RetAFRC) says:

I served when being in the military was not popular. I am a Vietnam ERA Veteran. I stayed state side “because there were no facilities for me”. I got in when women where just being allowed to do a man’s job. It was not an easy road. I served my 4 years active duty plus 23 more years in the reserves and continue to work for DOD. I am proud to say I have 2 nieces who served, 1 is a Iraq veteran an still serving. I also have a sister who served, but she isn’t a vet because she was in during the calm before Desert Storm. I am glad to see we are getting there, it’s just a shame we still have to keep working to get there. USAF 1974-1978,USAFR 1980-2003, DOD 1983-

49. Erline Grier says:

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will eventually come back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by pksmith, Cheramie Law. Cheramie Law said: Its a start! Loving that women veterans are stating to be recognized. http://bit.ly/6pEGlR […]