Friday, December 15, 2017

“Somebody from up above was watching over us that day”

November 10, 2009 by
Filed under Bras & Boots, Featured, Most Recent Posts

PFC Charlotte Ferris, Purple Heart recipient, is from Texas. She served in the US Army from Feb 2002-Oct. 2005 with 101st and then reactivated in Feb. 2009-Mar. 2009. She was wounded back in Nov. 2003 in Mosul, Iraq. When an IED exploded under the truck that she was driving outside the wire.

purpleheart

“Somebody from up above was watching over us that day. Other soldiers told me later how my gunner got tossed up out of the turret and into the air and landed hard on the ground. He then started rolling on the ground. He injuried his back and broke his arm. My other passenger was a little hurt by flying debris… We all made it through that event. I saw the truck in our motorpool and I saw the damage on my side. The other soldiers that visited our motorpool to come look, saw and some could not believe that I had made it through.”

Comments

24 Responses to ““Somebody from up above was watching over us that day””
  1. bryan Magnusson says:

Thank you for your service SOLDIER. I, for one, will never forget any troops who have served. Glad you are safe and sound. Same goes for your female compatriots. Pilots, MP’s, RN’s, MD’s…all of you make many of us very proud.

2. Oscar says:

I just wanted to say a heartfelt “Thank you!” to PFC Ferris and all the heroes male and female who keep us safe day in and day out. America is the Land of the Free because of all of you. Stay safe, come home safe, and may you all have a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays wherever your mission takes you.

God Bless!

Oscar Vazquez
    Jacksonville, Florida

3. Marty says:

Thank you for your service………………..

4. someone above is alwayse watching over our troops in the field and the Female Military Personellhave alwayse had it harder than the males, being one I am sorry for the attitude that breeds such a segregation. I would like to send my condolences to the families and loved ones of those of both genders for their losses and to those injured either phisically or mentally or emotionally as well as to all those female military personell that stepped up when they heard the call my heart felt thanks and my perasonal blessings to you and to the higher power you serve for sending you when you were needed. you are all heroes to me and to anyone who dosent think so PHOOT.

5. Kim van Rijn says:

Thank you for you service. As a Vietnam era female vet, I know what it is to have your contributions minimized or overlooked simply because you are female. So, I want to say thank you.

6. Thank you very much. I admire women who take chances to do as men do.They are proving their ability.

7. Michael says:

Thank God no one was serious hurt or killed. Please stay safe and come home soon!!!

8. Elder Norm says:

First, thanks for serving your country. Its something more people should do.

Second, I sort of know what you went thru. I served from 1/72-6/80, USAF, SAC. It was the peace-nic years. You did not tell people you were in the service. Period. Soldiers coming back from ‘Nam were treated like dirt. It was a very sad time.

Best of luck to you and yours.

Norm

9. ada says:

Thank god for people like you, Iam proud that we have such strong females serving and protecting our country and standing up for the rights of other humans in this world who can not do it themselves!! God Bless you.

10. Dear Ladies,
    I’m so glad we have women that have what it takes to be a soldier in the service. I could not do this myself. Being a foster parent and giving up so many childern,in this is heartbreaking, but I love it. I know also there are many moms,that can do this. I’m glad God made us different. They say behind every good man there is a good woman, but I believe beside every good man is a good woman.God created us equals not one behind the other.Our women and men of the service need all the help we can give and then some.It is big responseability to leave their family home,to leave their country,to retain peace for us at home.
    LOVE & PRAYERS TO OUR LADIES IN
    SERVICE WHEREVER THEY ARE

THE BOBLITTS

11. Stas says:

Charlotte, thank you for you service to US. I greatly validate what you did abroad. You very welcome back to civilian life.
    Stas

12. Michael H. McIntosh CW4, USA (RET) says:

Thank you. People don’t understand that war knows no gender. Those who haven’t served will never understand, but your brothers in arms should know better. Again, thank you.

13. Apewalen Samuel says:

I hope women are equally recognized as there male folks who served along side in battles. The truth is some of these women were more active than some men in those operations, so they donot deserve any less recognition accorded their male conterparts.
    I advocate for wider publicity of their activities, that is only when doubting thomases will see reason to recognize the women who went for such military operations.

14. Roy Pritt says:

Dear PFC. Ferris
    I would first of all like to thank you for your bravery and I also believe there is some one above watching over all of our troops overseas. I just read a article about how our women in the armed forces are not getting the recognition they so rightly deserve for being in Iraq or any other country and fighting for our freedom. I’m truely sorry for how these people who are so disrespectful towards any individual who serves for our country. They need to rethink about what you and your comrades are doing for us. I am really glad to hear you and the 2 other soldiers that were with you that day all came through this ordeal with out losing your lives. Again I would like to thank you and everybody else over there for doing what you do for me. God Bless you and all others that are with you.

Mr. Roy Pritt

15. Betty says:

God Bless You

16. Tracy Doughty says:

I would like to say THANK YOU, to you and all of the other women who have served our country. I read an article on how women of the military arent getting recognized as veterans by society. I think thats is outrageous. You women have just as much courage and fight in you as the men, and put your lives in danger, just as then men. I, myself, as a women would never have the courage to do the thing you all did. So let it be known that you ladies, sorry, SOLDIERS, are very well apprecitated.

17. A soldier is a soldier no matter what! Male or Female! It’s time to give women soldiers respect ! You must also demand respect! I have your back! My daughter is now a soldier and a good one! And i will do everything in my power to make sure she is treated like one! (FORWARD EVER BACKWARD NEVER) A soldier for life.

18. Brenda says:

I did not realize that our country was not supporting our lady veterans enough after returning from battle. I am truly grateful for those who served in any way–on and off the battlefield–for our country. What a tremendous sacrifice you have made for us! Thank-you.

19. Kenneth Williams says:

I just want to say thanks to all of you women that served stateside or overseas; during war time or peace time. I know that if it was not for the women that have served there would be a lot of men dead now because of the injuries that they received that the women patched up. Also thanks for having fought beside the men.
    I would be proud to sit down and buy any of you a drink at any time and just listen to you tell your story.
    GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU . Ken Williams US Army Jan 59 – Jun 62

20. judi dansizen says:

Thank goodness you survived! Thank you for your service.

Signed….another female vet

21. pj says:

dammit im so proud of our young men and women every last one of you. i dont care what your function is. you’ve all got my respect. thats why when i see any of you in public i say do or buy something i can just to make your day

22. I think that we as teachers can increase students’ awareness of women’s roles and the trauma they experience simply being in a war zone by inviting women vets to speak on Veteran’s Day (Remembrance day in Canada). My mother was a staff sargeant in the RCAF training girls to staff the home radar stations where they directed Spitfires and Hurricanes during the Battle of Britain. Some did not survive the attacks on these stations. My uncle was a navigator in ferry Command, but the rest of his class “went along for the ride” in Bomber Command and never came home again from those raids over Europe’s skies in World War II. Young people need to know about those who serve in the less publicized roles.

23. Richard A. Caylor says:

Thank You for protecting our Freedom.. In the USA

24. Helen Warner says:

Thank You for your service to our country. I’m very proud of you! From a fellow female veteran of the Viet Nam Era