Saturday, December 16, 2017

Women Are in Combat

November 9, 2009 by
Filed under Uncategorized

Comments

15 Responses to “Women Are in Combat”
  1. David Rigby says:

As a VN veteran I can relate to the issues that women combat veterans are facing. We were treated as second class citizens by the VA and after awhile of being called names or having to fight I just stopped telling anyone I was a veteran.
    I stayed in the service and retired because it was the only place I felt like I could get any peace. I served with women during my time,they were pilots,ground crew,crew chiefs and security personnel. As difficult as it was for me it was even more so for them.
    My son served in Afghanistan with the 10th Mtn Div and he told me that when the time came there was no such thing as male or female…..it was soldier and comrade,often times risking personnel safety for a fellow soldier and the issue of sex didn’t come up.
    I know that women have historically had to work harder,longer and put up with crap no male ever would and promotions and decorations came slower as well.
    I didn’t mean to carry on this way but I feel strongly about this….one of the first fatalaties of the war was a Native American woman taken during an ambush of a convoy. She was given recognition locally in Az and had a freeway named for her…..Piestewa(forgive the spelling) so in conclusion I would be proud to buy any veteran a drink and I make no distinction about male or female…..we are all veterans and we served our country and it’s about time our country began to serve it’s female warriors better. Thank you for your time

2. Jim Hill says:

I hardly know what to say,except i’m sorry to hear about how women have been treated who have served our country in the armed forces of the United States.As a veteran of the Vietnam War i have impathy for your treatment after returning to the “world”,as we used to say.But i must say I was shamefully ignorent of your plight,and i hope the american public especialy the veterans administration becomes more informed and does the right thing in recognizing,and helping your group get the help and respect you so deserve.I know you have my respect and admiration for your service. Thanks to All Of You.

Respectfuly, Jim Hill

3. LisaAnne says:

Thank You, for sharing this. When people talk about veterans I often forget about the women who are out there. This is a great reminder. Thank You Ladies!

4. Don "Dave" Davis says:

I am here to yell you that “I will stand with any women in uniform anywhere and when ever called”. I am now 74 years old and a wounded vietnam era veteran, I lost my right leg and half of my left foot, hit by rockets at Vinh Long, Vietnam Aug 21st 1968. But if called I will step up again or any time in the future, that I am on this earth to make the call. And as I said before, I will stand with any women in uniform as I would stand with any man in uniform, You are my life and I will never forget you”. Oh and yes I do say “GOD BLESS YOU ALL and GOD BLESS AMERICA”.

5. Dear Ladies,
    I am a US NAVAL Veteran 1978-1993. I appreciated the women in the service, and seen first hand what some of the “Front Line Women” had to go through and endure! Keep up the Great Work!
    sincerely,,,william”Cherokee Bill”toler OST2 USN

6. Warren Miller says:

I was in the Army for 6 years during the 1980s. Women were a vital part of the military even back then during peacetime. Now during wartime they are assuming an even greater role. They fight and die just as bravely as their male counterparts without most of the recognition and rewards. Sexual trauma and exposure to violent acts have always been a problem for women in the military. Some see more blood and gore in their jobs than many of their male counterparts and yet they still perform their duties to support and complete the mission. I am deeply committed to help improve their lot in life and to see that they are recognized for the sacrifice and service. THANK ALL OF YOU for what you’ve done and accomplished. May God bless you and let you have peace and success in all you’re endeavors.

7. Steve Moore says:

Thank you to all the women of our Armed Forces. If there are people in this country that are just plan ignorant about what you have done for all of us and the freedom you help us keep. I apologize for them. You deserve as much respect as any other soldier. Thank you from the bottom of my heart as well as my families.

Steven Moore
    Lincoln Ne

8. My hat goes off to every man and woman who has been put in harms way either here at home or abroad as a result of their service in our armed forces. As a retired veteran of over 20 years, serving both as enlisted and as a commanding officer, I understand the price our veterans pay in serving their country. Yes, maybe the women are not in a MOS that is a direct combatant job, but the type of conflicts in which we are engaged knows no borders. Woman in many ways pay a higher price than men and get little if any recognition for what they do. You deserve much more than a beer, a better disability, or outright acknowledgement for what you have done. Thank you to all the ladies who put on the uniform of our country every day and may you find peace and resolution of your wounds upon your return. Anne Lynch, Captain, USAF Retired

9. I plan on having our annual Veterans’ Day Celebration next November at our Church(1st United Methodist Church), to the Women Veterans and their service to their country. I need all the info I can get. I ask for your help.
    I’m a 24yr veteran and thank you for your service to our country.
    Thanks,
    CA(Buster)Mangham

10. Tamara says:

Just wanted to say that I praise the women veterans for their time overseas. Modern day women warriors are under recognized, and realize that they have to be tougher than the men they work with. I for one applaud the women that are able to go into combat and am ashamed of how our government fails to recognize these women.

11. Martin Smith says:

From a USMC Vet. Thank you Ladies for your sacrifices and to all of you
    “Semper Fi”

12. Colette says:

As a woman it pains me to hear that our women veterans are not being given equal treatment in society and by our government. I would have thought we have come along way since gaining equal voting and working rights as men. I whole heartily salute all women veterans. You gals are courageous and deserve equal honor, praise, and support.

13. Tanya says:

I am a female veteran (U.S. Army), and have experienced a suicide bomber when out on a convoy from one FOB to another. It was a mission to pick up and deliver goods and mail. I was in the gunners turret when I seen my buddies get blown up . I seen the damage that is done by the explosive vest that the afghan man was wearing. Three very good soldiers had died that day and 6 were wounded. I still remember seeing one of my friends bodies being pulled lifelessly out of the hole that, that PLT had dug to make a foundation for a bridge that they were building for the locals to make an easier crossing across the river. I still can’t get the “eyes” out of my dreams. The eyes of my dying comrade that I seen from the turret of my vehicle. I used to go out on security patrols sometimes driving or gunning. I was the driver of the medics vehicle that day, and when I got our vehicle set for security everyone left the vehicle, I relived the gunner so that he may go help the medic (his best friend) with the casualties. There was supposed to be a second bomber that day from what the Intel informed us of, but we did such a good job at reacting to the situation and securing the perimeter that the second bomber had no chance at breaching us. Yes three great people had died that day, and 6 were injured, but we have saved so much more. After that day male soldiers started to talk to the 1SG about me being in the security PLT. They didn’t like that I was there because I was a female. They felt that I caused problems just because I was a female. When the 1SG called me into his office he started to yell at me angrily accusing me of sleeping with the NCO of the security PLT and told me that he was moving me to the carpentry PLT. Later I found out that the guys in the security PLT accused me of it, because they didn’t want me, a female, doing their job. I did their job just as well, or even better than they did. It made me feel like they blamed me for the unfortunate suicide bomber. What had happened down at the bridge sight wasn’t anyone’s fault. No one knew that was going to happen. Then when we had finally returned to FOB Sharana a well established FOB, I was sexually harassed while on guard duty by an NCO. He sent the other PV2 that was on guard that night down to a check in building. He told the PV2 to go take a nap and then soon after the PV2 left he had asked me to do sexual favors for him. Of course I was in shock and told him no. It’s a good thing that I am a tall and intimidating women. He left it at that, but I was so uncomfortable for the rest of that night shift. I kept telling myself that if he tries anything just shoot him. I would have thrown his a** off that guard tower if I had to. The next day I filed a sexual harassment complaint on him. The 1SG (a male) and Commander (a female), just gave him a letter of reprimand, and swept it under the rug. The worst part about that is the Commander even told me it was my fault, for letting them talk about sex in front of me… that I provoked it by not saying “Stop talking about things like this”, and like I said, this was a female CPT. Right after that it was the real fight for my life. People all over in the Company started to harass me, and threaten me with rape and murder. I couldn’t even go to the restroom at night (latrine). I peed in a gator aid bottle in my room, and threw it out the next day to avoid possibly getting raped and or murdered. I looked for help from the Chaplin, and he wouldn’t do anything, apparently it was a matter for “higher” command. Finally I got them to move me to a different PLT, but I had to put up a fight to go, and bothering the Chaplin every day to help get me moved. They moved me to a different PLT, but it didn’t help much that PLT would harass me too, because I “ratted out” one of the boys. It wasn’t just a certain group it was the company. I couldn’t even trust the females they would try to lour me into traps. I found out one night when my “friend” told me that the medic wanted to see me about something, and that he wants me to meet him outside of his tent at 9pm. I was skeptical about that, and had a bad feeling about it. So I got in contact with a trusted person with a cell phone that I purchased from a local at the bazaar to find out if this was true. It wasn’t. The medic didn’t know anything about this. It was a trap. My true, and only friend took a peek out side of his tent to see the NCO that had harassed me, and his buddies hanging out in the empty tents across from the medics tent waiting for me. I had a horrible terrifying deployment. I left the army, and will never go back. I am scarred for life. I too know what it feels like to come home feeling completely lost. I have TBI from the blast that went off on the back my vehicle that day. I have bad anxiety, and am scarred of people. I don’t trust anyone anymore, and can’t make any friends. It’s a lonely road. I have a fiancé, and am struggling to move on. It’s hard to get help because no one wants to listen to me because, I am a women. No one believes me when I tell them my story. My care provider with the VA doesn’t seem to want to help me. I tell them what is wrong, and she can’t seem to help me. She just wants to blame all of my stress and problems on my new born baby. I want my life back and it’s lost somewhere in Afghanistan, and harassment land just trying to survive. I am just another stupid women to everyone else. We women veterans deserve a hell of a lot more respect than this. I am tired of being pushed aside, and treated like the dirt people walk on. I hate to say it but in my heart I feel that if I was a man, I would get more respect and better care then I do right now just because I am a woman, I see it every time I go to the VA Hospital with my Fiancé. I want my respect as a Veteran just like the men get theirs… I deserve it…we all do.

14. Susan says:

You women are amazingly strong and brave. You have my every respect and praise, and you deserve so much more! You are selfless in the sacrifices that you’ve all made for us. Thank you for all you do for this country!

15. Frank says:

Y’ALL GO GIRLS. YOU ANSWERED THE CALL. BE PROUD AND LET ‘EM KNOW YOU EARNED YOUR STRIPES. GOD’S BLESSINGS.